Global Wine SOLA Report: Sustainable, Organic & Lower-alcohol Wine Opportunities 2018
Wine Intelligence has produced our first multi-market, multi-category view of the alternative wines sector, and to escape the rather clumsy phrase we have adopted an acronym – SOLA – to describe the scope of the report. We have also developed an opportunity index, crossing 11 markets and 12 sub-categories, to determine where SOLA wines have the greatest chance of success, and which of the individual product types within the group might work best.
Parts of the Wine Intelligence Global Wine SOLA report are available for a reduced fee. For more information, please contact Eleanor.
1. Organic wine first in the SOLA wine opportunity index amongst consumers across 11 markets and is particularly strong in Finland, Sweden & Germany
2. Fundamental consumer misunderstanding of the term ‘natural wine’; low awareness and mixed views on orange wine are due to instability & quality issues
3. Strong and positive opportunity for sustainably-produced wines, despite complexity of sustainability certification and lack of single definition
4. Strong opportunity for wine positioned as environmentally-friendly that may not carry accredited endorsement, but must be credible
5. The ‘free-from’ wine category has not yet reached the prominence seen in other food and drink categories
6. Biodynamic wine currently seen as marginal in the category, with the validity of the biodynamic process eliciting strong and conflicting views among the trade
7. Lower-alcohol wine opportunity currently niche, with consumers turning to other low and non-alcoholic drink choices over wine
Drawing on data collected from our October 2017 and January 2018 waves of Vinitrac® (the world’s largest ongoing omnibus survey on wine consumer attitudes and behaviours), trade and consumer interviews, secondary sources and market experience, this 144-page report offers detailed analysis of opportunities for alternative wines across 11 markets: